Saturday, January 3, 2009

Freusburg, Germany - My medieval "roots"




"Kartoffel Ferien" = potato holidays
When I was 6, I joined my home town's childrens choir, the Bochumer Kinderchor. Every September we would go to a youth hostel for the "Kartoffel Ferien", a left-over holiday from the time when all children had to leave school to help out with the harvest of potatoes, etc. Until I immigrated to Canada 7 years later, I spent a wonderful week each year in this castle first built around 1100 AD. I have returned several times since to visit friends. It is still a youth hostel and went through a huge change since my childhood by having a very large addition built onto the front and east side of it.
I got the photos from google images: the first one shows the front entrance on the right, #2 is a view of one of the back towers, the photographer stood in the dry moat, and #3 is a panoramic view showing the castle nestled among beech forests, sitting on top of a shale mountain
We used to sing a song called "Oh Freusburg, auf der Hoeh" meaning "O Freusburg, sitting up high"

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Hi Mrs. Lehmann!
Thanks so much for coming by my blog! I got an e-mail from Tessa, which put a huge smile on my face!

I hope everything's going well with you and your family. Happy New Year!!!

Vanessa Lee

T-shirt

T-shirt
Cathy (Andrew's mom) was so enraged by what she witnessed at the 2nd Olympic trials, that she promptly went home and in the middle of that same night designed and ordered these T-shirts for us archery moms :)